Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Come and Gone


“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”

The winter, along with the winter sports of OEE, is over. We have journeyed to Cypress for a couple of weeks to cross country, and then we traversed the road to Mount Seymour to do some snowshoeing. All in all, it was a great experience. I delved more into the aspects of the two sports that I enjoyed, and that I disliked. I learned what I was able, and unable, to accomplish, and I refined and redefined my skills. From a cross country skier who would simply "go for it" and occasionally lose control to one who could (somewhat) confidently remain in control, and one who was able to advance quicker, and one with a more open-minded towards the sport. In all honesty I did not learn all too much more this time. For the two sessions I was able to attend, the snow did not permit fast speed, which was easier but in a sense less exhilarating. Additionally, I was placed in the lesser advanced group on both occasions - the first time rightfully so but the second time I myself would have probably preferred the advanced group (although I wouldn't have got hot chocolate in that case!).  I did, however, have a good time advancing my skills, getting outside, getting active and all in all, enjoy myself, as I learned to glide across the snow, to "snowplow", to stop and how to ski across the rolling plains of untainted nature.

Snowshoeing was a very different OEE session than cross country skiing, to my surprise. Instead of solely advancing skills, our two snowshoeing sessions involved playing active games of capture the flag, therefore advancing our skills. We walked to an area and ran through the snow. I did end up wet and dehydrated, so in future I will wear more waterproof layers and bring water actually to the mountain. I do look forward to next year, and I am ready to strap on a pair of plastic shoes and head up to the mountain again.


I look forward to future winter activities!



-Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment