Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Belaying Good Foundations

The past three weeks, I have earned my certification as a person who can belay at the Cliffhanger socioactive physical institutional college. It was, I have to say, a lot of fun. Going into the exercises with the fear of heights that has plagued me from a young age, even upon reaching the top, I was too frightened almost to return. As time progressed (as it always does during rock climbing sessions), though, I could feel my fear and the boundaries I had imagined for myself begin to fade away. By the end, I was confident enough to make it nearly completely to the top of a rock wall with a sufficient enough ledge to have utterly daunted me had I stared at it when I began, and I never would have ever imagined myself climbing. As well, aside from a couple of minor hiccups, I managed to progress through the belaying educational side of the session with sufficient enough ease to earn me certification which I will certainly apply to future rock climbing adventures, such as the one in grade 10. It was actually quite amusing, in fact, to flow through the movement and hold that responsibility. It really garnered my sense of independence.

See you on the climbing wall!


-Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment