Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Post Camp Post

Sorry about that - haven't touched this site since June, unfortunately. Quite a bit has happened since, although the most significant OEE related topic is definitely camp. We had our sights set on Fircom again, on Gambier Island, but a lightning storm which coincidentally flooded our basement put an end to that idea. So our sights moved west, through the wavy waters of Howe Sound, until our destination locked in on Elphinstone. I'd had many memories of Elphinstone (from grades 4 and 5 when we went there for the spring camp), and most of them very good. Needless to say I was quite excited for this camp. We arrived, and our entire view of the camp shifted. And positively positively. As we had lived for four years, renovations had been underway, and the cabins which were once the low point of the camp had been revitalized into the high point. The next few days went by simultaneously strenuously slowly and in the blink of an eye. Through several fun activities, such as improvisation games, kayaking, talent shows and field games, we furthered not only our existing friendships but we furthered our bonds with the new arrivals. We worked hard to ensure our new community members fit in as best as they could, and in my honest opinion if it weren't for the camp they would not fit in anywhere near as well as they do now. It was both neat and strange that our start of year camp was as long as our end of year camps for grade five. I have to say, I would have rather had the one night camp, as I'm sure we could have still conducted all that we wanted to and the two nights at Elphinstone at this age seemed to drag on somewhat. Regardless, I improved my hard skills, with hiking, swimming, kayaking and games, and my soft skills, as the camp molded our community into the connected one it is now.

seatosky.bc.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment