Kayaking is a change - so to speak. It's not that I haven't done kayaking before, in fact in one week this month I kayaked on 4 separate occasions, but no, the difference is that the technique has changed. For myself, kayaking has always been a very casual and relaxed sport, without much thought put into it, however now, and especially in regards to the kayaking we had at Deep Cove last week. We were not simply taught the right way but clearly shown how, by focusing strongly on your core. Essentially it is important to use full upper-body strength and not simply arms. As well, double kayaks were a change. I had in fact used double kayaks before, but not normally. In my opinion single kayaks are better and more efficient, as all of the power you put into it is used, and the bulkier doubles take a lot more time to turn. Another switch was that of the rudder, which I had only used once before, if at all. It didn't take too much of an impact, as the paddles were more useful, however it did make it a little bit easier. I enjoyed the Deep Cove day more, however it was fun to get outside and do this. The slightly wavy waters of the North Shore gave us a bit of a challenge, and there was nowhere to look without seeing a 5 million dollar house! I can feel myself improving and I hope I'll stay on this path for years and years to come.
-Derek
“No one, in my opinion, should embark on the open ocean, the Antarctic, or any wilderness for that matter, not prepared to get out of trouble by his own efforts. By voluntarily challenging the elements he automatically assumes the responsibility for his own safety. He should not expect anyone to risk life and property on his behalf. The very idea of possible rescue is debilitating to the will; it should be replaced by self reliance.”
-David Lewis
No comments:
Post a Comment